Keep Your Family Safe When Using a Portable Generator
When the power goes out, a portable generator is an excellent tool to have.
When making use of a generator, there are three risks that you need to recognize and avoid to stay safe.
They are electrical shock, Carbon Monoxide poisoning, and fire.
Avoid Electrical Shocks
When utilizing a generator, there is an opportunity of getting electrocuted.
Make sure to maintain your generator completely dry. If it gets wet or damp, do not use it.
Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Any time you burn fuel, Carbon Monoxide (CO) is produced. This odorless and colorless gas can kill you, and you won’t see (or smell) it coming.
Here’s how you can avoid CO poisoning:
Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning occurs when you inhale your generator’s toxic exhaust.
Never, ever run your generator inside an enclosed area. Some examples of where you shouldn’t run your generator are your:
- basement (as if we have those in South Louisiana)
- crawl space
- other enclosed areas
Also, don’t make the mistake of thinking that running a fan, opening doors, or opening windows is enough to prevent Carbon Monoxide accumulation.
Keep flammable liquids such as LP Gas, Kerosene, Diesel, and Gasoline from near your generator when it’s running.
Instead, store them outside, a safe distance away.
Only store flammable liquids in properly-classified containers away from heat or flame-generating appliances (such as a water heater).
Turn your generator all the way off and allow it to cool before refueling.
Portable Generator Safety Recap
Here in South Louisiana, we’re used to power outages from storms and hurricanes.
Portable generators are a Godsend when we lose electricity. If you follow these tips for portable generator safety, you’ll keep you and your family safe.
Be sure to check out some our other electrical tips to keep your family safe before, during, and after a hurricane.
Consider installing a whole-home generator to power your home.Â They’re safe, and can turn on as soon as the power goes out so you won’t be left in the dark.
If you do, make sure it’s installed by a commercial electrician.